Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Farmhouse Table DIY

We finished the table in December, right before Christmas. I LOVE IT! Sorry, WE love it! There are a couple minor things that I would maybe do differently if we built another one. But overall, it looks awesome! And I'm SO happy we finally did it!

I had been telling Derek we needed to build our own farmhouse table for months and months. Because there was no way I'd ever spend a ridiculous amount of money on something we could easily make. But we needed to wait until the basement was finished so we could actually fit the table upstairs (now that the couch & TV were moved out of there). He kept saying we would do it but I don't think he had the vision like I did (well, I know he didn't). He tells me now that he didn't think it was going to look good. Psh!

// DETAILS:
Derek had help from Dustin and their friend. It was their first piece of furniture they'd ever made. I'm so proud of them. They managed to put it together in one night, taking them about 7-8 hours (it was one late night!)

I got the plans from Ana-White.com >> http://ana-white.com/2012/06/plans/fancy-x-farmhouse-table 
I love Ana White's website, she has tons of great plans and gives you detailed step-by-step instructions! There were two different tables that I was deciding between. But I went with this one... the "X" style. 



Derek and I did the finishing work together. We sanded it (Hugh helped us sand, thanks Hugh!), one coat of pre-stain conditioner, one coat of MinWax Walnut Stain and three coats of polyurethane. We let it sit for a few days before using it. This process took about a week. I do like the stain we chose but I think I would have liked even better if it were a bit lighter. But Walnut has a nice rich, warm color.

I'll also note that we were a bit nervous about building an 8 foot table, thinking it might look monstrous in the dining area. But we're so glad we didn't shorten it! We wanted a big table for entertaining and this table is perfect as it seats at least 8 people comfortably. And we could squish a few extra people on the ends if we needed to. 

I wanted the table to look rustic but still be functional since it would be our every day dining table. I was tempted to beat it up to make it look more distressed but ended up just leaving it in case I didn't like the way it turned out. We chose not to fill in the wood knots with wood filler, I think it looks more natural this way. 

// THINGS I WOULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY:
After we did the polyurethane, it felt like little bumps all over the top. I didn't like it. So we looked up online and discovered a process called "finishing your finish". Apparently you're supposed to do this or another last finishing step. Derek took lemon oil and a very high grit sandpaper and used the oil while sanding. This made it super smooth! The bumps were gone. However, when the light shines on it, you can see little dots where the bumps used to be. Like a pickled look. You can only see it in certain lighting so it's not that big of a deal but if I were to do it again I would try something else to avoid this. I'm still going to try to do something to fix this.

Also, this one is obvious but don't rush it! We were in such a rush to finish it because we needed to use it for the Christmas party at our house that week! 

One other thing, we sanded the top of the table pretty good (we sanded by hand) to make the top boards flush together but we didn't sand the bottom of the table as much as the top boards because of time. I was a bit worried about this and hoped it would not make a difference in the stain/look, but it did make a bit of a difference. I think the top boards look smoother, and the stain looks better (and less shiny) than the bottom. But these are things that most likely only I will notice them, or someone else like me I guess.

// CHAIRS:
Okay, so I love the mismatched chairs look with a farmhouse table. It has been a fun hunt finding different chairs. I have 8 chairs now but about half of them are just temporary until I find cuter ones. My original plan has been to paint them all an off-white color. But I like the way a couple look how they are now so we'll see. I've been getting my chairs off of KSL and Craigslist, and from thrift stores.

// COSTS:
The wood for the table only cost $65! What added on the cost for us was the stain and finishing supplies, also a couple tools that made things easier like the mini Kreg Jig. If you already have some of this stuff it would be less expensive. This brought the total closer to $200 for the table. My chairs have ranged from $0 (free!) to $25. But most were only $10. The whole thing is a steal considering they sell the same style table at Restoration Hardware for over $2,200!!!...(seriously, who would pay that?!)

Table from Restoration Hardware



//AND HERE IS MINE...





With chairs....








Now I need to start adding some wall decor so it's not so bare in here! That's my next project. Along with painting the chairs and looking for a few replacements. And now that I've seen what these guys can build I'm getting all sorts of ideas.... (just don't tell Derek).

FARMHOUSE BED, ANYONE?? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment