Thursday, October 17, 2013

General Conference Insights

My whole life I've always had an issue with being able to focus and pay attention, especially when it comes to talks/speakers. Now that I'm older and more mature, I care a lot more about the messages being said at General Conference. So I try extremely hard to focus! But I still struggle very much with paying attention. So when it comes to Conference, even though I love it, I never get as much out of it as I would have liked. But I'm sure many people feel the same way. I have to go back and watch them again and study them out. So that is what I have been doing the past week or so but it will take me a while.. these are my thoughts so far.

I want to express my love for President Monson! I just adore him. I wish he was my neighbor. Every time I hear him speak I always wish I could just sit and talk with him for an unlimited amount of time. Wouldn't that be amazing? He is so sweet and funny yet wise and powerful. I know without a doubt that he is a living Prophet of the Lord Jesus Christ. I always feel the spirit SO strongly whenever he speaks. There are moments when he speaks directly into the camera with a quiet and more serious tone that I literally feel like God is speaking to us directly through him. It's hard to explain the way I feel when that happens but it is really miraculous. 

I have a few talks that really stood out to me. One of them of course was Uchtdorf's! He always gives wonderful talks that I can easily understand. I love how he pointed out all the things that we as members have responsibilities for but gave reasons as to why we do them. I was also happy to hear him explain that the church is not perfect! And we as members are far from perfect. In fact, we can even say we are somewhat hypocrites! If you define a hypocrite as someone who portrays to believe in something but doesn't always follow it. This is what he said:

"Some might say, “I don’t think I could live up to your standards.
All the more reason to come! The Church is designed to nourish the imperfect, the struggling, and the exhausted. It is filled with people who desire with all their heart to keep the commandments, even if they haven’t mastered them yet.
Some might say, “I know a member of your Church who is a hypocrite. I could never join a church that had someone like him as a member.
If you define hypocrite as someone who fails to live up perfectly to what he or she believes, then we are all hypocrites. None of us is quite as Christlike as we know we should be. But we earnestly desire to overcome our faults and the tendency to sin. With our heart and soul we yearn to become better with the help of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
If these are your desires, then regardless of your circumstances, your personal history, or the strength of your testimony, there is room for you in this Church. Come, join with us!"
I love the part that I underlined because many times I feel bad that I'm not the best example to others, especially people with different beliefs, non-member friends or less active family members. I sometimes feel like people who know me may think I am not living up to what I profess to believe in. But it's simply because I am not perfect. I can't expect myself to always be a perfect example to everyone around me. All I can do is continue to pray for help to overcome my faults and work at them each and every day. But I know with God's help I can eventually become better at setting a good example to others.
{Link:  http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/come-join-with-us?lang=eng }

Another talk I found inspiring was called "Teaching with the Power and Authority of God" by David M. McConkie. I was called as a youth Sunday school teacher back in July so I found this was exactly what I needed to hear. I am teaching the 12-13 year olds. It's my first time teaching at church so it's still new to me. But I enjoy my calling because it's helping me grow and feel more comfortable teaching others about the gospel. I also learn new things every week as I'm preparing for my lesson and as I am teaching.
{ http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/teaching-with-the-power-and-authority-of-god?lang=eng }

The talk right after McConkie's was one by Kevin S. Hamilton called, "Continually Holding Fast". This one stood out to me because he talks about the importance of going to church every week and staying for all three of your meetings. Lately this has been a struggle to do with Noah. I don't often stay for Relief Society because by that time he's not a happy baby and the rest of the day will be hard. But I know I need to work on this and get through it even though it's very challenging.
{ http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/continually-holding-fast?lang=eng }

Elder Eyring's talk was very powerful, "To My Grandchildren". I love the simpleness of the fact that if we keep the commandments, love God with all our heart and love our neighbor as ourself, we will have lasting happiness in this life.
{ http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/to-my-grandchildren?lang=eng }

I have made it my goal to study the conference talks more deeply and continually. I know that each one of them were inspired of God and have messages we need to hear. I am thankful for our Prophet and for the Apostles. I'm thankful for all of the leaders in Christ's church. I know they have been chosen to lead us in these latter days.

Thomas S. Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment