Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Yellow Finch Photography

I graduated from Fotofly Academy at the end of September. Yay! It was such a great experience. I can't believe I went from being a complete amateur, knowing very little about photography to being able to call myself a professional in just over three months.

We learned all about lighting. We learned what flat light is, and how to avoid that to make our pictures look more evolved. We learned about posing and how to pose different ages of children, including newborns. We learned how to make people laugh - which is especially needed when it comes to toddlers and babies. We learned about depth of field, composition, framing and all of that fun stuff. We learned the basics of wedding photography and how to create stylistic bridal images.

And that's just a small portion of what we were taught. It was so beneficial for me to take this class. It would have taken me years to learn this stuff on my own, plus I didn't have to worry about being led the complete wrong way.

I officially started my business in October - Yellow Finch Photography. Finch obviously from my last name, and yellow is just a color that I love, and to me it means happiness, bright, and full of life. My friend Cindy Bean designed me a really beautiful logo! She gave me around 10 sketches to choose from. It was a hard decision because they were all so pretty but I'm really happy with the one I chose.

I was actually pretty busy in the Fall and early Winter, doing around 1-2 sessions a week. Things slowed down a bit after Christmas but they're starting to pick back up now that Spring has arrived. I don't want to over book myself before this baby arrives though, since I still have so much to do around the house and everything to prepare for this baby. But I'm really excited for the sessions I have over the next couple of months, including another wedding in May.

My favorite type of session has probably become newborns. I just love how sweet and small and new they are. And you can use some pretty fun props. I also really love engagement sessions because you are just emphasizing all the love and excitement they have for what's in store.

I feel so blessed to be able to say that I'm following my dream. I can't tell you how long I've dreamt about being a photographer. I love that I can work as much or as little as I want to. I still have time to be home with my family and I don't have to put Noah in daycare. It's just a dream come true. And I will be able to take better pictures now of my own family over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment